Never use a generator in enclosed or partially-enclosed spaces. Generators can produce high levels of CO very quickly. When you use a portable generator, remember that you cannot smell or see CO. Even if you can’t smell exhaust fumes, you may still be exposed to CO. If you start to feel sick, dizzy, or weak while using a generator, get to fresh air right away. Do not delay. The CO from generators can rapidly lead to full incapacitation and death. If you experience serious symptoms, get medical attention immediately. Inform medical staff that CO poisoning is suspected. If you experienced symptoms while indoors, have someone call the fire department to determine when it is safe to reenter the building.
No matter what size your workshop is, there are some basic safety tools you should not be without. A smoke alarm, fire extinguisher, safety goggles, and first aid kit are absolute must-haves. Plus, all of your electrical outlets should be equipped with ground-fault circuit interrupters. If an emergency ever should ever arise, a telephone should be nearby to enable you to call for help.