It’s the Holidays! It’s the time for eggnog, caroling, presents and sappy movies starring Jimmy Stewart! It’s also the time for tragic falls from ladders, house fires and accidental ingestions.
Want to keep this Holiday joyful and mishap-free? Follow these important tips, courtesy of the Consumer Product Safety Commission and the National Fire Protection Association:
Place trees away from heat sources. Sounds like a no-brainer, right? Well, property losses from Christmas tree fires are up around $19 million. So keep the tree a safe distance from stoves, fireplaces, vents and radiators.
Buy Fire Resistant fake trees. It’s great that you want to be more environmentally-friendly and buy a fake tree. Just be sure the tag reads “Fire Resistant.”
Keep the Tree kid-safe. This means using unbreakable, inedible, un-sharp decorations. Dispose of tree trimmings immediately.
Use Caution with Candles. Never leave the home with candles burning. Never go to bed with the candles burning. Place candles on a stable, heat-resistant surface, out of reach of kids and pets. Make sure the candles are place well-away from anything that can catch fire.
Light with Safety. Lights can pose a few different hazards. To ensure that the lights you intend to use are safe, look for lighting sets test by the UL or a similar laboratory. Check all lights for damaged sockets, compromised wires or loose connections. Throw out any damaged sets. The same goes for extension cords. Be sure that lights used outdoors are certified for outdoor use. And most importantly, use caution when climbing ladders to hang up lights.
Stay safe this Holiday season, folks!