If you already own a multistory home or are deciding to purchase one, there are four alternatives to provide access to two or more interior floor levels. These are (1) residential elevator, (2) stair lifts, and (3) inclined platform lifts.
|Residential Elevator||$16,000 + shaft cost||* Most accessible and easiest to operate, but most expensive to install
* Can serve more than 2 floors for little additional cost
* Adds equity to most homes
* Can be difficult to retrofit to existing homes
|Stair Lifts||$3,500 for simple stair||* Least expensive and easiest option to retrofit
* Not accessible for some homeowners
|Inclined Platform Lifts||$7,000+||* Serves the needs of most wheelchair users
* Often difficult to retrofit to existing homes
* Generally less economical option to serve more than 2 floors
Copyright Paralyzed Veterans of America
For more in-depth information on making your home accessible, follow this link to purchase the PVA’s second edition of Accessible Home Design: Architectural Solutions for the Wheelchair User or buy it directly from Amazon.