From everyone here at Renovate Your World, have a happy and safe 4th of July weekend!
For those households who plan to celebrate with fireworks, here are some important safety tips courtesy of the safety-first folk at the CPSC:
Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
Avoid buying fireworks that come in brown paper packaging, as this can often be a sign that the fireworks were made for professional displays and could pose a danger to consumers.
Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities. Parents often don’t realize that there are many injuries from sparklers to children under five.
Never have any portion of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse. Move away to a safe distance immediately after lighting.
Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not gone off or fully functioned.
Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
Light one item at a time then move away quickly.
Never carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.
After fireworks have gone off and fully functioned, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding to prevent a trash fire.
Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them.
Also, remember that sparklers burn at 2000 F or hotter. That’s hot enough to melt copper. Keep sparklers out of the hands of toddlers and make sure all children handling these fireworks are aware of their potential danger!
Credit: CPSC Firework Safety