The thieves are back. With the economic downturn, some cities are seeing an increase in home burglary, according to ShopSmart magazine. What can you do to protect your home? ShopSmart has a list of steps you can take to protect yourself in this PDF file. Here are some of the more important points:
- Windows and doors. Lock them whenever you go out.
- Bushes. Trim them so burglars don’t have a place to hide.
- Door lock. Any door secured with less than a deadbolt with a strike plate with three-inch screws can be kicked in by a thief.
- Trash. Make sure big-screen TV and other big ticket item boxes are broken down and not visible.
- Lamps. A timer can make your lights come on automatically to make it look like you are in the house when you are not.
The PDF has a number of other tips homeowners can adopt, including safe spots to store valuables. It’s worth reading.
Credit: Shop Smart