Keeping your utility bills low involves more than making sure your refrigerator door is shut. ConsumerReports.com has eight simple tips to follow to make sure your refrigerator is functioning well:
- Clean the compressor coils.
- Clean gaskets on the doors with detergent and water, not bleach.
- Test the gasket seal by closing the door on a dollar bill. If the bill falls out or can be easily removed after closing, it’s time to replace the gasket.
- Refrigerators should be placed on a level surface so the door can close properly.
- Every time a refrigerator door is opened, up to 30 percent of the cooled air can be let out. Think about the item you are seeking before opening the door.
- Keep the refrigerator temperature at 36 to 38 degrees and the freezer no colder than 0 to 5 degrees.
- Place your refrigerator away from heat sources and direct sunlight.
Credit: Consumer Reports article