With all signs now pointing at a downturn in the economy, CNN Money has 11 home improvement tips that can spruce up your home on the cheap. The list:
- Buy square edge, standard color or remnant stone countertops.
- Use stock moldings instead of custom ones.
- Purchase container plants when planting for privacy. Container plants cost much less than plants that have been grown in the ground.
- Use copper pre-fab roofing.
- When buying a bathtub, skip the jets and salvage a claw-foot.
- Cut tile yourself. This step can save you about 30 percent of the cost.
- When hanging windows, gang together stock double-hungs.
- For a dramatic hardwood floor, buy inexpensive oak and apply an ebony stain.
- Use a kit and less modules when creating a closet organizing system.
- Use stock kitchen cabinets when building a built-in media center.
Read in-depth descriptions of each tip at the CNN Money web page.
Credit: CNN Money article