400

What You Can’t Smell Can Kill You This Winter

Brrrr! Today hundreds of thousands of folks in the Midwest are still without power thanks to a powerful winter storm. That means a lot of people are probably using supplemental heating sources, like kerosene space heaters and fireplaces, to heat their homes. I’m hoping that all of them have carbon monoxide detectors in their homes. Why? Because what you can’t smell can kill you. About 300 people die each year as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, and thousands of others end up in hospital emergency rooms. How can you prevent carbon monoxide poisoning from happening to you and your loved ones? Don’t use unvented gas or kerosene space heaters in enclosed spaces. Open flues when fireplaces are in use. And, of course, never burn charcoal inside a home, cabin, recreational vehicle, or camper. The National Safety Council has a lot more dos and don’ts about carbon monoxide. Just click on their link below.

Credit: Federal Alliance for Safe Homes – FLASH, Inc.

Carbon Monoxide Facts From the National Safety Council