renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Zing Ear Switch - Solved the wiring question!!
Login | Register

Zing Ear Switch - Solved the wiring question!!

Posted by George Cheij on July 13th, 2003 08:21 AM
In reply to Zing Ear Ceiling Fan SWitch 3 wire by Harry Honey on May 12th, 2003 01:48 PM [Go to top of thread]

43 of 53 people found this post helpful

Solution to the Zing Ear Switch problem.

I own a relatively new Harbor Breeze fan and my son pulled to hard on the speed control chain breaking it within the switch mechanism. A replacement from Home Depot did not provide all the proper settings. I decided to drill out the rivets and figure out it's operation. In so doing, I was able to remove the small broken chain stub, replace the chain correctly, return an internal spring to it's proper position, replace the drilled rivets for support, and secure the mechanism with black electrical tape. It's working well!

The switch is a Zing Ear (ZE-208S6) with 4 leads: L, 1, 2, 3. Examining the internal switch connections gave the following pattern which I verified on my unit by carefully shorting the correct wires while the unit was Hot (on). My fans color code was L-Black, 1-Grey, 2-Brown, 3-Purple, but this may certainly vary from fan to fan. I assume L is for "Load" or Hot wire. My settings:

Position 1 Off
Position 2 High L - 1
Position 3 Medium L - 3 - 2
Position 4 Low L - 3.

There were 2 switch options at Home Depot from a company called Fantec. The first was called a Single Layer, 4-Wire, Single Continuity switch with wiring connections which don't replicate the Zing Ear as follows:

Pos 1 Off
Pos 2 L - 1
Pos 3 L - 2
Pos 4 L - 3.

The other was labeled a Split Continuity switch with settings:

Pos 1 Off
Pos 2 3 - L - 1 - 2
Pos 3 3 - L - 2
Pos 4 3 - L - 1.

I called one local electronics store, but they could not help. A fellow by the name Ken runs a web site on which he provides a replacement for the Zing Ear for about $6.50 (www.kenselectronics.com). I never tried Lowes to see if they carry anything more suitable.

Hope all this information is useful!

George Cheij

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2014 Renovate Your World LLC