> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Your choice!
Login | Register

Your choice!

Posted by Henry in MI on June 17th, 2001 05:01 PM
In reply to Danish Oil by Bill Morgan on June 16th, 2001 12:01 PM [Go to top of thread]

Bill, to each his own. In my opinion, Danish oil lets water vapor into the wood much too easily, which is an important consideration with kid and g-kids, and pets.

The Wood Handbook, page 15-12 has a chart, which I tried to find on the web last night but couldn't, showing the resistance of various finishes to water vapor penetration. This is on a scale of 0 to 100. From an old post I did find, Linseed Oil was rated 0, Spar varnish @53, Shellac or Polyurethane @ 64 and paraffin wax @97. As I remember, Danish oil is about the same as Linseed oil for this. The info came from the most knowledgeable person I know of in the field, Dr. Gene Wengert. Also check out Bob Flexnor's book Understanding Wood Finishing. When the 2 best experts I know in the field say the same thing, I listen. Sometimes, as in this case, I even believe them because it matches my experience.

But I also understand that it doesn't match yours. Write back when you need help getting out the black stain when somebody leaves a wet towel or an overwatered flower pot on the floor.

Obviously, I don't agree with everybody that posts at this board either. And that's great. you should hear a few different opinions and make up yourown mind on how to go. That does not mean that I don't like or respect them. (Well, maybe Steve: sometimes. LOL Kidding REALLY.)

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC