> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > You won't believe this!
Login | Register

You won't believe this!

Posted by Pam on June 19th, 2001 11:48 AM
In reply to Air Conditioner leaking!!! Please help. by Pam on June 18th, 2001 08:52 AM [Go to top of thread]

First, thank you guys very much for the info.

After doing some research on the internet yesterday, I went home and removed the cover to expose the drip pan and coils. Interesting... the coils are slanting down into a two inch drip pan. Seems like a bad design to me. Anyway I noticed about 4 inches of water in the bottom of the unit and a slight line of demarkation of water going across the middle of the coils. Lots of mold, dirt, etc. After scooping out the water and drying the floor up I checked to make sure the pump was working by pouring water in the pan (it streamed out perfectly). I then sprayed the coils with a solution of bleach and water and straightened some of the coils with a toothpick. The water that I was spraying soon began to stream down the coils like it should (how EXCITING!)

I changed the filter and started the a/c and fan.... the air seemed so much cooler (maybe my imagination). Anyway, this morning the towel I had place next to the unit was wet again. However, I wonder if maybe that's from the other big tin thing that sits next to the unit I cleaned last night (I guess where the air comes back down into the unit). I couldn't clean the water than got into that so maybe it coming from there. I'll check when I get home tonight... let's hope.

I'm also calling today and setting up an appointment to have the ducts cleaned and SOON! I wonder if that's why my house is so dusty. We'll see.

Next step... figure out what kind of heat I want. You guys have just about convinced me that a heat pump can be efficient if it's working properly. I have a fireplace... maybe I should consider a wood stove?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC