> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > You've Got It ...
Login | Register

You've Got It ...

Posted by Jay J on July 26th, 1999 09:02 AM
In reply to thanks, more by Ed on July 24th, 1999 05:55 PM [Go to top of thread]

The most optimal solution is to go to the drain tile. If you do, I'd dig down to the tile, and then DOWN below the tile a few inches over a distance of about 12" Then, wrap it in filter fabric (not landscape fabric). Then, put in your gravel.

Unless you're digging down many feet below the window will you have any success with the 'natural' absorption of water. Again, the rock will displace much of the 'space' unless you fill in a small amount of rock. If you lived in SE NJ, then I'd say you're OK as is because their soil is very sandy!. You can still consider building a small 'roof' if the well is vented in any way, or putting on a bubble if it's not. When you're finished putting in your gravel, lay a piece of landscape fabric or filter fabric on top to keep vegetative debris from 'contaminating' your well. This way, if you want to clean it out, you roll up the fabric, shake it out, and if it's in good condition, lay it right back in. And if necessary, you can put 1 layer (that's 1 layer) of gravel on top to cover it so it looks nice!

My best to ya and hope this helps. PS: By the way, after you dig down to the tile, see if you can make sure it's clear of dirt from where you dig to where it terminates. If it's not, that's a new problem!

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC