> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > You're Pretty Much Right, Steve: ...
Login | Register

You're Pretty Much Right, Steve: ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on January 27th, 2001 10:38 AM
In reply to I have been putting off this post, but by Steve: in Dallas on January 27th, 2001 09:19 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately, formica is a material that, as you know, will melt when it comes in contact w/heat. Other than possibly cutting out the 'bad area' (which would ential cutting out a rather LARGE area because of the placement of your seams), the only other novel idea I've got is that you cut the bad spot out and replace it with a decorative tile.

IF you want, you can buy yourself a tile that's large enough to use, say, as a hot plate. (The bigger the better so the heat doesn't 'sit over top' of the 'good' part of the countertop.) Anyways, go to your local Tile Retailer or Home Center and talk to them about the job. I would be easy to do if you take your time and use SHARP cutting tools. Use a good caulk that will take some heat. Other than that, I think you're left to a major repair.

IF you decide to go with a major repair, remember that the new part of the countertop may not 'match' exactly the 'old' countertop. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC