> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > You're Not Going Crazy ...
Login | Register

You're Not Going Crazy ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on October 16th, 2001 03:13 PM
In reply to Am I going crazy or . . . by Sean on October 16th, 2001 02:31 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Sean,

I'm the one that's been removing the Posts.

All too often, folks try to 'advertise' products on the BBS w/o regard to the purpose of the BBS. I know that sounds selfish and loaded but, simply put: If there isn't a question in there about DIY 'stuff', it's probably not going to last on the BBS.

At the same time, I do applaud you for sharing your 'good fortune' especially when it comes to matters of safety. I guess you could consider that a 'Public Service'. There are MANY folks that do Follow-ups on the BBS that 'tout' their products but at the same time, they DO answer a question(s) that's presented. (That liberty I feel is OK as long as they are 'helping' the Poster.) I don't quite see your comparison to using galvanized nails quite the same. You WILL find posts where folks recommend Peel Away for removing polyurethane, or Sherwin Williams Woodscapes Paint for exterior painting, or even ASHI Home Inspectors. If you've had a good experience w/a product (which you have), then if you don't want it to be 'perceived' as SPAM or an advertisement, then you'll want to wait until there is a Post which 'touches' on your good experience. Otherwise, I and a WHOLE lot of other people will start Posting their 'good experiences' just in, ... well, for the lack of better words, in the name of 'general usefulness'. At that point, the BBS is no longer serving its purpose. I guess all I can say is I'm just keeping the ship on course.

Although my explanation is debateable, it's about all I can say about your post and what happened to it. At the same time, in about a day or 2, your post will get buried so far down the BBS that no one is going to read it. Maybe, just maybe, your post would prove more useful, or beneficial, or purposeful, if it were posted on a Fireplace Forum. (Take note - I used the word MORE which is relative, and subjective.) Here, 'things' tend to bounce around quite a bit. And yes, your post does bounce around with the best of them, but as I said, your post really doesn't have a question needing an answer. I read an AWFUL lot of posts each day, and the ones that 'get in the way', are removed. So, with that et al., I removed it.

In your defense, there have been (recent) posts that tout other products. (See Post I and Post II and Post III) These guys I know. I've known them for years and that they don't work for any company where there would be any 'gain' by them in touting a particular company's product. These type of posts are the result of enough Poster, over time, wanting information on such products. As for any past or recent requests for Stovepipe Thermometers, I haven't seen one. :( Soooo, my brain absorbed all the little 'clues' and opted to remove the post(s), and that was that.

Now, RE: Galvanized Nails - If you have had a bad (or good) experience with a certain mfgrs. nail, then it DEFINITELY would prove useful since, on a time or 2 or 3, we have had questions/posts relating to this type of nail, and about deck screws. Just support your claim when you make your 'statement'. There are Regular Follow-uppers on the BBS that talk to one another off-line so we pretty much know one another. You are CERTAINLY welcome to join the group. (WE aren't paid or compensated in any way, so ...) At least you'd become 'known' as a Regular, and go from there. As to NON-Regulars, or just the One-Timers that do follow-ups, heck, THEY'RE the ones that fill in when the Regulars don't. And yes, they 'add' to the discussions, good, bad, or indifferent. These types of 'relationships' exist w/o anyone realizing it. In other words, w/o anyone doing Follow-ups, what's the sense of having the BBS???

I guess I could have left the post but your intentions weren't clear and I don't know you (to any extent) and there wasn't a question in your post. At the expense of sounding like Sensorship, I did what I did. As Moderator, I'm afforded some discression.

Jay J -MOderator

PS: God Bless America!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC