> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > You're In Luck (I Think ...)
Login | Register

You're In Luck (I Think ...)

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on January 21st, 2001 08:34 PM
In reply to Asbestos Shingle Replacement by Trish on January 21st, 2001 01:02 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Trish,

GAF Materials has something for you (I'm pretty sure.) Check out the 'stuff'. If you don't see what you need, see if they (or their Site) Can provide you with a local Retailer so you can go look at samples.

Now, way off to the side, these things are a pain to maintain especially if you're losing them as you describe. Chances are good that what's UNDER your shingles is either the 'wrong' sheating or damaged. The 'gap' between these things are usually 'plugged' with an asphalt strip that usually ends up on the ground. (If you've been finding them and just throwing them away, now you know what they're for.) Anyways, if these strips aren't replaced, a wind-driven rain will get 'between/behind' the shingles and start a 'slow death' of the underlying sheathing. And, worst yet, if the damage is bad enough, you could start getting damage to your wood studs, flooring, walls, and so on. (Sorry 'bout telling ya all that ...) In short, save your lunch $$$ and consider an alternative siding. As old as your home is, it's time to 'change' some things.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC