> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > You can't do it all in one shot...
Login | Register

You can't do it all in one shot...

Posted by Jim -ATS on March 20th, 2000 10:22 AM
In reply to Pouring concrete upright and footing at same time by John on March 19th, 2000 07:20 PM [Go to top of thread]

You just can't do it any other way, as far as I know, unless you were to somehow seal the footing after you pour it so it can support the head pressure of the column, which I doubt the delivery truck is going to be willing to sit around while you do anyway.

Look around on your project, or get friendly with your neighbors. There must be someone somewhere nearby that wants to pour a small concrete pad or walkway, or something. Offer to split the cost with them on having 2 loads brought out on different days.

Be sure you understand the issues for inspections for your building permit. It is likely you will need your rebar inspected before you pour, and be careful with your column forms to make sure they are strong enough to withstand the column pressure without blowing out at the bottom. They must be water tight, or else you will have consistency problems in your pour.

Make certain you have proper rebar placement in the cold joint between the footing and columns, and that your footing is properly sized. A footing that is one foot square in profile sounds oversquare to me, I would go with a wider layout to help the soil bear the load, but I'm just the type who overbuilds things, and concrete is cheap.

Go talk to your neighbors and work out a deal.

Good luck!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC