> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Yikes !!!
Login | Register

Yikes !!!

Posted by Jay J on May 2nd, 2000 09:20 AM
In reply to Adding above floor drain by James on May 2nd, 2000 06:03 AM [Go to top of thread]

James, James, James ... Are you sure you want to do this?! It can be done, yes, but should you be doing it? There are special toilets that can flush-up to do what you want to do. BUT, what if there's a leak or if a pipe breaks? Where or where will all the waaaaater go? O where, o where will it gooooooo?

Backing waaaaaay up, there's more to putting a bathroom in a basement than getting water to a spetic line. You need to consider a vent. You may need to consider busting up some concrete. You may need a permit. I know waaaaay too many homeowners, either having 'inherited' a basement bathroom or put on in themselves, where proper thought wasn't put into the job BEFORE they began. For a fact, one homeowner had his system back up 3 time, yes 3 times, BEFORE he decided to shut down his basement bathroom! There are code issues here. Do I hear PERMIT?!

I'm getting carried away here. (I happen to spend a lot of time listening to this kind of stuff at my township's monthly Sewer Meetings.) Consult a few pros to give you estimates and have them explain to you why it cost so much to install things like vents, flush-up toilets, and floor drains. Then you can decide if you're up for the challenge.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC