> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Yes there's an easier way...
Login | Register

Yes there's an easier way...

Posted by Jeff on November 22nd, 1999 12:24 AM
In reply to Removing Vinyl Kitchen Floor by Robert Hall on November 22nd, 1999 12:10 AM [Go to top of thread] can sand through the vinyl (as long as it's non-asbestos). That will allow you to rent a floor sander, like the one used for hardwood flooring, and sand right through the vinyl. That way you won't have to scrape/pry/etc. After that you'll have to check out the subfloor and replace/patch with leveling compound. If it's in good shape just leave it. Otherwise install a new subfloor and nail/screw into the joists using ring-shank nails or galvanized screws (for rust concerns-not totally necessary but it's your decision...I use them myself). I have pulled up sheet vinyl before and it's not too fun...especially when the subfloor starts to come up with it. If I had known then (it was when I was like 12 years old) about the sander it would have made my life a bit easier. Just use a rough (low #) grit sand paper for the job and just go to town on it but make sure you don't sand too far down...and use a dust mask! Mention this to someone and see what they think....Jeff

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC