> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Yes, don't walk under that chimney
Login | Register

Yes, don't walk under that chimney

Posted by Steve: on January 29th, 2001 07:24 PM
In reply to sloping floor, tilting chimney, trying to tell me something? by Gian in Chicago on January 29th, 2001 04:59 PM [Go to top of thread]

Someone was neglent 18 months ago and I sure would try to seek some assistance.

First, the inspectors should have seen this and respectfully, you should have also. We know that this has not happened in the past 18 months.

You need some serious foundation work and I would start real fast. That chimney does concern me. I would take precautions now and make sure no one is hurt around that thing if something should happen. something that high and a 10 to 15 degree cant is disturbing.

An experiment. Take a pencil and walk out in front of the chimney. Close your left eye and walk back as far as possible to have the chimney and the pencil the same height. Align the pencil up even with the top and bottom of the chimney, then slowly swing the bottom of the pencil out to be even with the top of the chimney. once the pencil is perfectly perpendicular to the ground, yell at your friend to mark the point on the ground where the pencil hits the earth. Now measure the distance between the base of the fire place and the point where the top has leaned out or where the point of the pencil was perpendicular to the earth and the top of the chimney.

This distance is how much the top has extended out from its original straight position. Now think about the weight of the brick and all with that slope or angle.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC