> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Yes, And More ...
Login | Register

Yes, And More ...

Posted by Jay J on November 16th, 2000 11:31 AM
In reply to What does code have to say by Steve: on November 16th, 2000 10:06 AM [Go to top of thread]

Forgive me for not saying more in my 'initial presentation'. I, too, was thinking out loud ...

The 'line' I'm thinking along is, for example: Take the drilling of holes in floor joists through which you want to run wire or plumbing. Depending on the TYPE of joist (ie., engineered or board for example), you should drill a hole that's no more than ABC" in diameter, and it should be XYZ" from the bottom (or top) of the joist. If one were to 'void' those limits, the joist might give out.

I understand the 'principle workings' of the ribbon board but I'm wondering what 'potential damage' (if any) might occur if the 3" (or 4" or 5" or 'whatever' size hole) would cause if it wasn't made to BOCA. Heck, as I said earlier, I don't even know if it's allowable by code, or not. BUT, if it were, what 'drilling restrictions' would it have (like the example of running wire/plumbing through joists would have)?

My ribbon board is 2x10 board. I believe the dryer vent is 5-1/4" in diameter, smack in the middle of the board. Any more thoughts, anyone???

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC