> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Yep
Login | Register


Posted by JackD on November 5th, 2001 03:54 PM
In reply to Aluminum wiring by Al Camber on November 4th, 2001 01:16 PM [Go to top of thread]

Al, The recepticles are available and will be stamped AL/CU indicating that they are acceptiable for alum. or copper wiring. The same with the breakers in the panel box. I wouldn't rewire a house just because it had alum. wiring. That's just me. I had one! Only had a problem in the breaker panel because I didn't tighten the connections on one breaker. The standard fix for the fixtures use to be the special wire nuts and goop that Steve refered to. It was the acceptable fix for years. If it were me and I wanted to go the crimp route, and this is just me, I'd see what the crimper cost. If you're going to be doing a lot of crimping then it might be cheaper to buy the tool and do it yourself. I know that the crimpers used on Quest plumbing pipe use to cost around a hundred dollars but paid for themselves quickly. You might also check with tool rental stores to see if they have these. Your last question was "should the whole house be crimped?" If I checked all the recepticals, breakers and switches in the house and they were Al/Cu rated then IF I crimped anything, it would just be the wires for the fixtures. Just my thoughts.

Good luck and play safe.


Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC