> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > workbench plans
Login | Register

workbench plans

Posted by Henry in MI on February 23rd, 2003 09:41 AM
In reply to workbench plans by rubyroo on February 23rd, 2003 08:02 AM [Go to top of thread]

Diane, I just bought a plans book at Barnes & Noble that was by Better Homes & Gardens and Wood Magazine. It had plans for all sorts of things and was on sale for 40% off the $15 price. Good deal.

My favorite kind of shop bench is one that is based on a triangle with the long side bolted to the wall and the tabletop being the short side of the triangle. The hypotenuse (diagonal side) is a leg that supports the top as well as 2 shelves. The reason that this is so great is that you can sweep under the bench and the shelves are relatively narrow so you don't lose things back there. I believe that the original design came from an old issue of The Family Handyman magazine but I have made so many I just measure those now. You can build them and bolt them on later. Obviously, you can put pegboard or similar above the top. These units are 2' x 4' and you really do end up with more usable space if you keep them shallow. I also have a 4' x 8' work table that rolls around in my shop and a smaller and taller unit that rolls around for tools like router table, grinder and planer.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC