> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > work bench
Login | Register

work bench

Posted by Henry in MI on December 26th, 1999 03:42 PM
In reply to workbench pattern by Sandy on December 26th, 1999 02:04 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi, Sandy. I have built several different kinds of workbenches over the years and recently built some for my daughter and son-in-law that were really great. The plans were in the October, 1999 issue of the Family Handyman magazine. You can buy the whole issue for $4.00 and order by calling 715-247-5060 or just buy a copy of the article for $3.00 by calling 651-994-2215.

The bench is triangular in design with one leg that fits against the wall, one leg for the work surface, and the hypotenus is a support for the front of the bench. There are two shelves under the work surface and this is neat because the shelves are not so deep that you can easily put stuff on them to get pushed to the back and never seen again. The other neat feature is that you can easily sweep and clean under the bench. You can easily mount a vise.

As drawn, the bench is 4' long and you can build 2 units if you want one 8' long. I ended up building 2 units for my son-in-law as a work bench and one unit for my daughter to use as a potting bench.

The tools you need are a power saw and power drill, clamps, chisel and a few other common hand tools and measuring devises. You use a half sheet of 3/4" plywood, 4 ea. 2x4, 1 ea. 1x3 and 2 ea. 1x6, all 8' long, per unit plus a lot of screws and some nails and glue. A table saw will be a big help if you have one.

Be very careful making the bottom angle cut on the front support piece and ripping the 1x6 (have the lumber yard do this if you don't have a table saw and can find a yard that will make the cut. Those cuts are kind of tricky but everything else is straightforward. You still want to use a lot of care and don't forget your eye protection. The article even has good instructions for mounting the unit on the wall (one of 2 places where having an extra pair of hands is real nice to have).

Obviously, I was real pleased with how mine turned out and I think that you will be too. Just being able to keep the floor clean is a big plus. Good luck.
Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC