> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Woodworking tool
Login | Register

Woodworking tool

Posted by Henry in MI on December 12th, 1999 02:39 PM
In reply to woodworking by Brian Pope on December 12th, 1999 12:25 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi, Brian. The best advise I think I can give you is to buy the best power tools that you can afford. When buying a table saw, either get one with a top quality fence or plan on adding one on. This will increase the price of the saw considerably so keep this in mind when comparing. Another thing that you can do is get a good book with jig plans that you can use to build jigs to make common problem cuts easier. You can make things like taper jigs, a panel cutter, jig to make cheek cuts or end cuts on a board standing on end easier. The book should also show you how to tune up your saw and make sure that everything is in line. Magazines like Family Handyman, Wood and American Woodworker also have similar information. And there are many TV programs that give you a lot of help on set-ups and techniques.

Can't help much on the planer and jointer, but I hope you have a good router or plan to get one (or two). You can use a router as a jointer for most set-ups. Also, keep dust collection in mind as this can make your woodworking a lot more enjoyable with a good collection system (and make others in your house happier, too). When you start to work, think safety. Be sure to read, understand and follow all the rules that come with your power tools and don't forget to wear these--safety glasses (wonder where I have heard that before?).

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC