> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > wood preservatives
Login | Register

wood preservatives

Posted by pb on July 3rd, 2002 02:03 AM

Many people I know have been concerned about recent legislation that requires manufacturers to phase out the use of cca (chromated copper arsenate) preservative in pressure treated wood. I too have some concerns , so I've been checking it out, reading what the govt and the mfgrs had to say, and talking to the people at my local lumberyards. Here's what I found:
-the change isnt required until the end of 2003.
-the transition to using acq(alkaline copper quaternary)preservative is already well under way.
-acq has been used in Japan and Europe for a decade.
-acq has been available in the US for 7 years now, with more than a billion board feet sold in the US last year.
- all of the lumberyards in my county have been selling acq treated wood for 3 years or more. the largest has been selling only acq and not cca for more than a year.(I've been using the "new" stuff without even knowing it)
-around here at least, acq treated wood is the same price and comes with the same warranty as the cca treated.
-its available pretty much everywhere.
So it seems that the rumors are unfounded, no shortages, no price increase, no loss of performance.
Now, I'm just a regular guy checking this out, I'd still like to learn more. Anyone have more input?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC