> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > wood floors
Login | Register

wood floors

Posted by Henry in MI on April 1st, 2003 06:38 AM
In reply to Hardwood floors by Garrison Griffin on April 1st, 2003 01:03 AM [Go to top of thread]

Concerning the area where the carpet was glued, I'd like to take a guess that this was the center of the room that was used as the dining room. This was a common practice before electric carpet cleaners were common and when carpets were much more expensive than the wood. The style of the day said that you should have carpet in the middle of the dining room and the bad news is that there is usually cheaper wood under there. Since it was going to be carpeted any way, why bother with a showy wood and why bother finishing it, was the common opinion. Certainly, your situation can be much different and a lot of things can be done in 90 years, but you might be watching for this.

If the wood is cheap and not well finished, you certainly don't have to be too careful ripping up the carpet. If the wood is a beautiful hardwood, you will have to sand and refinish so you don't have to be too careful about how you rip up the carpet. That said, any way that you can get it up without making gouges in the floor is acceptable. I would not use chemical strippers except as a last resort and I would stay away from any water based products unless you were meticulous about drying the area after a work session.

Beyond that, there are a lot of possibilities that could have been done to your house. If you can let us know further about your particular situation, you might get a fuller response.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC