> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Wood floor color
Login | Register

Wood floor color

Posted by Henry in MI on May 12th, 2001 05:27 PM
In reply to pine floors by bob on May 12th, 2001 04:31 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi, bob. Yes, water based poly does not have the amber hue that oil based has. It may yellow a little over time, but that takes a long time to occur. Personally, I like the amber of oil based poly and have some Southern yellow pine furniture with just oil based poly on it that I think has a nice look.

Before you start making too many changes, get 2 pieces of the leftover white pine and put a couple of different stain or dye colors on it that you think you might like. On about 2 foot long planks, put strips of masking tape across the planks to separate it into sections and then put a color sample in one section on each board, leaving one section unstained. Mark what the stain samples are on the bottom of the board under the sample. Then finish one board with oil based and one board with water based poly. Be sure that you apply the same number of coats that you plan to use. This will take some time, money and effort but a lot less than refinishing your floor again.

When you have decided which you like, you can refinish the floor the same way. You will probably have to sand it down again to "fresh" wood.

It might have been me or someone else on the board that pointed you toward what you used as their favorite floor finish. I'm sorry that you were unhappy, if it was. I do feel that oil based poly offers more protection than water based on a floor, but beyond that, the look and color of wood is a pretty subjective decision. Even 2 people finishing wood with exactly the same products will end up with a slightly different look, let alone what happens with light in a room. And the most subjective part of the whole thing is how you see and perceive color. Even the sample boards that you make will not represent how the whole finished room will look exactly, but they should give you a lot closer idea.

Good luck
Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC