renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Wood counters.........
Login | Register

Wood counters.........

Posted by doug seibert on February 7th, 2003 02:29 PM
In reply to Pine Countertop by Joey on February 7th, 2003 12:13 PM [Go to top of thread]

I hope you're not using the reject leftovers......Choose the best pieces for the counter........the pieces that lay the flatest have lines of straight grain from front to back......avoid the flat sawn pieces with the big "eyes" looking at you.........

Don't just nail down the boards.....the joints get disgusting...........Re-Saw the edges and Join the edges of the boards together with glue (and bisquits?).....The wood will want to move.....Don't add wood across the grain without allowing for expansion with elongated holes and screws w/washers.........

Like Yellow?.......finish with an oil/poly.....multiple coats........

A Clear fast drying finish would be a water-based poly..........

I put in a "knotty" pine board counter around the stove......Temporary-several-years-ago.........finished in several coats of acrlylic......My wife won't let me replace it......It adds so much life to the counter.........It "takes" the Microwave/Dish heat just fine.....And no "clunk" hitting the hard finish......I don't set the hot frypan on it.......And it's separate from the sink.........

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC