> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Wood Conditoner vrs Sand Sealer ... a test
Login | Register

Wood Conditoner vrs Sand Sealer ... a test

Posted by Steve: in Dallas on December 11th, 2001 01:24 PM

After my last post concerning the use of Sand Sealer on bare wood prior to staining, to achieve a more uniform stain, I did get some differences of opinion.

Since then, I acquired a small job from Frito-Lay's Home Office last week that required staining some oak to build two small shelves in the Presidents Office.

I got the wood and then saw the Wood Conditioner right next to the Sand Sealer. I said what the heck, I am always "open" to new ideas and new concepts. I do like to learn from others experiences. I got the Wood Conditioner.

In the past, I always enjoyed the process of staining as you can never make a mistake, too light add more stain, to dark, wipe off stain. Staining is fun and matching a piece of wood usually is easy with a batch of colors to mix and match.

I added the Wood conditioner after a thorough sanding and tacking, and steel wooling.

Then I began staining. I got one coat on and found it was NOT dark enough and added more. What I found out real quick was I could not seem to make the color darker. The stain would not soak in and allow a build up to create darkness.

The Wood Conditioner for me, was creating a block and only allowing one coat of stain, hand rubbed. It seemed to fill in the pores and causing a big barrier.

With Sand Sealer, I am able to add more hand rubbed stain and make the shade darker if I want. Also, the stain took forever to dry which again is strange, because the stain in the past soaked in, now its almost a topical solution.

Any feed back and any suggestions.

Unless I did something wrong, I will never use wood conditioner again.

jump on.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC