> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Wiring Size for Electric Furnance ?
Login | Register

Wiring Size for Electric Furnance ?

Posted by Jim L. on February 1st, 2003 02:55 PM
In reply to electric furnace wiring by Brian on August 31st, 1999 02:46 AM [Go to top of thread]

We recently purchased a 25 year old home and during the winter months notice the electric furnance was not heating to a sufficient level. Since we mainly heat with a heatelator (fire place insert) we sort of ignored the problem until we ran short on firewood. I called out a heating and air serviceman to check out the Goodman electric furnance and he found that one of the three heating elements were disconnected and tape up. He also noticed that we had a #8 wire running to both the 30 and 60 amp breakers in the furnance. Two of the heating elements are attached to the 60amp breaker and one element to the 30 amp breaker, which from what I understand also powers the blower. He said that I should have a #6 going to the 60 amp and at least a #10 to the 30amp breaker. Anyway, I had a licensed electrian friend of mine come out and take a look. He said that what I have is a #6 going to the 60amp and a #8 looped over to the 30amp. The circuit panel has a 70amp breaker for the furnance. The electrician said that the #6 was fine for this application. What concerns me is that I have two different answers. So now to make this short, what wiring should be going to this furnance with a 60amp and 30amp breaker?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC