> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > winterizing home
Login | Register

winterizing home

Posted by Dick on November 6th, 2000 11:51 AM
In reply to Winterizing Seasonal Home by Skip on November 6th, 2000 08:06 AM [Go to top of thread]

Skip , Every year I "pickle" our cottage (year round home)This is what I do and have never had a problem
1) after cleaning everything (tub,sinks,etc) I shut off the water at the pump.2)drain all water with ALL faucets open,take a portable air compresser and blow out ALL lines at faucets, 3)flush toilets & sponge out as much water out as possible 4) I use regular antifreeze ,a good cupfull in each trap (tub,sinks) 2 cups in toilet and 2 cups in water closet, if you have a pump don't forget to DRAIN it also. 5)make sure to open outside faucets,6)I turn the furnace down as low as it will go then turn it off but leave the pilot on so no rust falls in the orfice ,also easier to turn on in spring or winter . 7)I leave two windows open at the top about 1/2 inch to prevent the musty order in the spring when you open up.I've doing this for 26 yrs in northern Wis with no problems.. I do not use the RV anti freeze . Good Luck

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC