> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > winterizing
Login | Register

Posted by bc on January 6th, 2001 12:57 PM
In reply to winterizing a summer cabin by Jeffrey on January 6th, 2001 11:12 AM [Go to top of thread]

Where are you at, Alaska or Hawaii? I winterize my RV by adding RV antifreeze to all the lines. I run enough through the faucets so the drain traps are also full of it. Drain the toilet tanks and pour enough into the toilet so the entire bowl and trap area are full of it. Fill all traps including floor drains and washer traps. Remember that washers and dishwashers have residual water down around their pumps.

You can install tees with drain valves in the low points of your water lines to drain them. But still use antifreeze in your drain traps so they don't freeze up and crack. Like my sprinkler system, you can install bushings at the high point of your hot and cold lines and screw in a schraeder valve(bicycle valve). Then get an air compressor to blow out your lines down to the drain valves you installed. Drain your hot water heater and water softner.

Wrap all pipes you are worried about with plenty of insulation. Also leave the heat on low or leave the electric on and use plenty of heat tapes/cords. If you can afford a summer cabin, you afford to leave the utilities on.

For the rest of the house, board up the windows so some kid or a storm don't break them. Cover all furniture to keep dust from settling on them. Leave plenty of dcon for the mice who move in during the winter and put some diazinon granuales around the perimeter inside and out to protect from insect infestations.

Can you leave a key with a friend or neighbor to look in on it every once in a while?

Why not rent it out to someone while you are gone. My uncle in calif made $500 a month renting his RV in the backyard to a couple mexicans.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC