> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Window sill replacement
Login | Register

Window sill replacement

Posted by Bruce M on November 18th, 1997 10:36 PM
In reply to Rotted sills by Debbi Wraga on November 18th, 1997 04:58 PM [Go to top of thread]

10 of 26 people found this post helpful

Hi Debbi:
The fix depends upon your windows and how the sills are attached. For most double hung wood windows, the sill is an integral part of the window frame. To replace it requires removing the window from its opening. You do this by removing the casings, inside and out, then cutting off the nails holding the jam to the house's framing with a recip saw, then slide the window out. Once out, you can see how the sill is attached and how it can be replaced. In the past, I have simply made new sills using pressure treated lumber I plane, cut and shape to match the old one, then reinstall the window.

The most common causes of a rotting sill is because they were not made with enough of an angle cut on the exterior exposure thus not allowing rain water to run off the wood, they were not maintained with periodic scraping, priming and painting and/or weep holes were not installed in the base of storm windows, thus allowing condensation to build up on the sill as it ran down the windows in the winter time.

I hope this helps you a bit

Bruce M

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

• Rotted sills by Debbi Wraga  11/18/97 04:58 PM (: 1, : 0)

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC