> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Window Replacement
Login | Register

Window Replacement

Posted by Scott on June 13th, 1998 11:56 AM
In reply to Windows....Replace with what? by Prodriver on June 7th, 1998 07:41 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

We looked at Marvin windows. Liked them, but found them too expensive. We could see how these would be easy to install. This is what I did... We have an 80 year old farmhouse we are restoring. We wanted windows that looked somewhat like what was there. Found an Anderson line of pro-windows available through the Home Depot. They could be sized to fit the existing opening or even slip into the old window frame. I have done both on this old house. When installing in old window frame...I removed the stops and interior frame moldings. This left me with just the wooden frame opening where the old window slid up and down. I ordered windows that would fit these openings. The installed into the frame by nail fins (screwed to the old outside window trim). I then trimmed the outside with an add on molding that looked nice and did not change the old appearance of the exterior much. Then the interior could be trimmed with a little wider window trim and it was done. That worked great for the upstairs windows. Downstairs, the windows (old ones) are a little different. I am planning on removing the window entirely and filling in what I need to to get the new window to fit as exactly as I can. Then I will trim to look like what was there. Now, back to the Marvins....I have seen replacements that you order to fit the window frame of your old unit. Basically, you replace all the stops and channels with new stuff they send with the window. Same principle as I used, except instead of putting a new frame and window in the old frame, you are only putting in new channels and window units and using your old window frame. It is critical to get the correct measurements so that you will not be needing to shim and fill outward to get a tight fit for the new windows. My problem with these units is that if you have an older house, and the windows are not exactly a standard size, you are not going to find affordable windows without custom ordering them. I was fortunate to find the windows I did that seem to fit nicely into the frames I have. Just a suggestion.... look around. You may be able to find an old lumber yard/supply that still stocks the old windows....I did....too late ....already had the new ones ordered. Scott

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC