> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > window leak
Login | Register

window leak

Posted by rick on March 11th, 2003 02:49 PM
In reply to leaky window by Marilyn on February 25th, 2003 01:40 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Marilyn, i had a similar problem. We have brick on the front of our house and i was getting a water stain above one of the windows on the inside frame. On the outside of our house there is a red metal flashing right above the window where the brick meets the window. The mortar that was between the brick and flashing had worn away, apparently there is not a very good cohesion between the two, anyway i bought some silicon caulk at lowes and filled in between the brick and this flashing. as far as i can tell it has stopped. i think in bad storms the water had been coming in above the window and laying on the top inside frame. not sure if the solution but worth a look. our house lies directly north and the front gets very little sun exposure. if it rains for a while it takes a long time to dry. i have read many places the bricks are pourous and water can pass through them, but i think the brick people are supposed to put this black like "paper" between the house and brick to prevent exposure. we have had a couple other water leaks the builder has agreed to come out and spray a water proofer on the bricks which i didn't know was possible. hopefully solves any other problems. please post your solution it may help with mine or others problems

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC