> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Window Framing v. Door Framing
Login | Register

Window Framing v. Door Framing

Posted by Jill on May 16th, 2000 09:43 AM

This may not be a question you all can answer without seeing the framing but I would like to hear your input. I have a 70s house with normal (what I've seen so far) framing of 16" on center studs (2x4) and joists (2x10). Its a two story house. In my family room I have two windows right next two each other that I would like to have replaced with a set of french doors to the existing deck. I am trying to get an idea of how much work this is going to be (not necessarily for me). I looked up in a book about framing rough openings for doors and windows to see the differences. They look very similar on paper. It looked like the door has cripple studs above a header and windows don't.

Would it be possible to just remove the sill and cripple studs below the windows and put a door in? Or do header sizes change from doors to windows.

I don't have any plans to try this myself, though I have installed prehung exterior doors before. I am trying to get an idea of how much a professional is going to need to do, like reframing (read $$$).

Thank you.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC