> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Why People Like It ...
Login | Register

Why People Like It ...

Posted by Jay J on August 25th, 2000 01:52 PM
In reply to flooring by Sue on August 25th, 2000 10:25 AM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

These days, people have been gravitating to flooring such as Pergo, and other laminate and engineered floorings. It's inexpensive, you can install it 'yourself', and it looks great! IF that's what you want from your flooring, then you take it from there.

IF, on the other hand you think like me (or Steve), you think about other issues. Pergo (and the like) can not have a 'damaged part' replaced. When it gets wet, it will swell and buckle. The kitchen is a high-traffic room in a lot of homes. That means it will wear 'quicker' than many other types of flooring. Hence, you have to REPLACE it - You can't refinish it. Laminate flooring doesn't give your home the value and 'appeal' that traditional hardwood flooring gives. Besides, although 100+ years ago, entire homes had 'wood floors', today, we 'treat' them differently. We want them to look new, we beat the crap out of them, and we don't want to have to spend a lot of time maintaining and such.

With all this, as much as vinyl sounds like it's living in the 1950's, vinyl has come a loooooong way. As I previously stated, many of the 'better' brands have wear-layers. And believe it or not, vinyl is THE most popular type of kitchen flooring, followed by tile, followed by carpet & laminates/hardwood.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC