> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Why Not Vinyl ???
Login | Register

Why Not Vinyl ???

Posted by Jay J on June 6th, 2000 12:44 PM
In reply to Pergo Flooring by Jason on June 6th, 2000 12:29 PM [Go to top of thread]

I assume you mean vinyl when you refer to linoleum.

Anyway, IMO, any wood flooring in the kitchen is not a good idea. The kitchen gets a lot of abuse. Next to the Family Room or Den or Living Room, the Kitchen gets the most use. Hence, the floor gets the most use. I know you want to use a laminate but Pergo can't be refinished. There are hardwood laminates that can be refinished up to 2 or 3 times (like traditional 3/4" hardwood) but I still don't like wood in the kitchen. (Yes, I know, for hundreds of years, homes around the world had wood floors in the ENTIRE house. But they never kept them in the condition we do today.)

Anyway again, why not vinyl? Today's vinyls are made extremly well. IN fact, many floors are replaced due to the homeowner wanting a 'change'. Not because of wear. The better vinyls have a wear layer that doesn't come off when you 'scuff' the vinyl. It's embedded, so to speak, into the top layer. Unlike ceramic, it won't chip or break or separate. And it's not that cold on your feet either. As for your Dining Room floor, I would recommend you DO spend some good $$$ and put in a 3/4" floor. It's better for value and you won't be wearing it down as much as the Foyer, Family Room, Kitchen, Stairs, and so on. (I'm assuming your Dining Room is more of a 'formal' room; one that's not used all the time.) That's my $.02. If you have more to offer, I'm listening.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

PS: Remember, when the Pergo or cheaper laminate floors go, you've got to rip them out ...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC