> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Why can't people just put SIDING on the SIDE of your HOUSE?!!!
Login | Register

Why can't people just put SIDING on the SIDE of your HOUSE?!!!

Posted by Jim -ATS on May 16th, 2000 07:16 PM
In reply to melamine by paul on May 16th, 2000 05:24 PM [Go to top of thread]

Sorry, someone else asked if they could put Wonderboard on their house today, too.

Melamine is a finish typically placed on particle board. This product DOES NOT like to get WET. It will swell, mildew, and disintigrate. ICK!

Melamine typically comes in 1/2" or thicker panels (VERY HEAVY), but not usually in a 4x8 sheet, so it would be tough to actually SIDE a house with it. I can't imagine having to predrill all of your holes to countersink your screws without destroying the finish of the melamine, having to make sure you hit the stud EVERY TIME, or else leaving extra screw heads in the finish. How would you flash between panels to prevent moisture penetration?

How would you repaint the house someday? Melamine does not like paint.

How would you explain the melamine to a potential buyer? This is not a proven construction material for this purpose.

If you are really looking for an unusual but very cool siding, check out Hardiplank siding, manufactured by the James Hardi Corporation

No, I do not get a "kickback" for promoting the product, I just like it.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC