> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > whole house surge protector
Login | Register

whole house surge protector

Posted by bc on December 7th, 2000 10:50 AM
In reply to Question For 'bc' ... by Jay J -Moderator on December 7th, 2000 07:58 AM [Go to top of thread]

Good question. I found some sites from metacrawler searching on house surge protector and will list some below. They can run up to two hundred bucks or more plus installation. These may help for general power company surges but I don't think they will stop a lightning strike on your home. You are right to protect the neutral side also. Most install by attaching at the panel or at the meter socket. The NEC now requires a second ground rod 6' away from the first one and possibly even more ground rods depending upon the resistance of the dirt/ground around the house. The ground rods are to be bonded/connected to the main panel and each other with a continous wire. Since most homes only have one ground rod, adding another may be a good investment. They can be drilled in, pounded in (with clamp installed first), or pour a little water on and in the hole every so often and just hand drill it in by spinning the rod back and forth with the flat palms of your hand on each side of the rod.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC