> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Who Said 'gas mask' ???
Login | Register

Who Said 'gas mask' ???

Posted by Jay J on April 7th, 2000 07:52 AM
In reply to No "gas mask" needed..... by Kilz guy on April 6th, 2000 10:36 PM [Go to top of thread]

Gutterless / Paint guy / Paint dude / Tyvek dude / Electric guy / Switch guy / Garage door guy / Tool guy / Bob, Big show guy / Kilz guy,

My personal experience has shown that a petroleum-based sealer works much better when you're trying to prevent bleeding from wood such as pine and cedar. Water-based blockers (ie., latex), is just fine when you're trying to block, say, a dark, underlying paint from bleeding through to a top coat that's lighter in color, OR, it's PROHIBITIVE to use the oil-based sealer. Obviously, both types of primers are still made.

I suggest as Jim did that the Poster use oil-based stain kill / blocker. (Yes, Kilz does make both.) Neither type is a guarantee to block any bleeding. In fact, you may even need multiple coats of the primer. IF it's prohibitive to use the noxious, oil-based primer, certainly use the water-based version. Open as many screened doors and windows as you can. Do put a fan in a window, on low, to create cross-ventilation. And as usual, follow the instructions on the can. It might be best to send the wife and kids away for a few days. DON'T burn any candles to get rid of any odor. I believe you can paint after an hour or so right over the sealer.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC