> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > white cedar shingles in Southern Oregon
Login | Register

white cedar shingles in Southern Oregon

Posted by Sue on August 29th, 1999 02:35 PM
In reply to capecod shingle siding by bern on July 31st, 1998 09:48 PM [Go to top of thread]

My son and I are about to shingle my house with Port Orford white cedar shingles. The shingles weren't easy to locate because the port orford cedar is dying out due to a fungus which attacks its roots..BUT well worth the search. Originally from the Cape Cod area, I haven't seen a style of house yet that is more attractive to me than naturally weathered shingles....particularly white cedar. It silver grays out nicely. Red cedar turns a brownish gray. All of the weathering takes years of course. As for drying out,I've seen it happen. It can be prevented by painting or spraying shake oil on the weathered shingles. I'm going to wait two years or so to apply the oil. When I like the silver gray color,I'll apply it. I believe there was more upkeep to our cape cod home when it was painted clapboard. We replaced the clapboard with shingles for that more more build up of paint. I'm recreating the cape cod look that I so admire here on the west coast.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC