> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Whichever you use...
Login | Register

Whichever you use...

Posted by Dodgeman on May 19th, 2000 12:52 PM
In reply to Which ridge vent material is best to use? by Blair Smith on May 18th, 2000 04:01 PM [Go to top of thread]

When you cut the opening along the ridge, cover the opening with metal screen door screen prior to installing the vent. I have heard of insects (grasshoppers) eating through the foam and plastic screening that some of the ridgevents come with. They can't eat through the metal screening.
On my own house, I used the 4' plastic sections (nail over) I don't remember the brand. It had baffles, but no foam or filters. It did have plastic screening, so I covered the opening first with metal screen. BIG difference in the attic temperatures. Dropped from 130 to 110 degrees on sunny summer days with little wind. The one mistake I made was not putting a slight gap between them as they were fastened down along the ridge. I installed them when it was cooler, and in the summer heat they tend to expand and push against each other, trying to buckle up. Not a real noticable amount, but since I did it, it bugs me. Oh well...
Good luck

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC