> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Which painting contractor and primer?
Login | Register

Which painting contractor and primer?

Posted by Henry in MI on January 24th, 2003 08:32 AM
In reply to Priming Drywall by Shane Wilson on January 23rd, 2003 12:13 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

A painting contractor is going to do what he is contracted to do and for the price agreed. If it's tract housing, the get 'em up and sell them quick kind, he is going to use the cheap paint and spray it fast kind of process. If he is contracted to apply a particular type of product at a particular coverage and number of coats, he will do that. And many painters prefer to spray at night when there is not a lot of dust and dirt floating around that's been kicked up by the other trades. That's why you don't see this as often.

As far as products for the best job on new drywall, or plaster for that matter, I like Zinsser's B-I-N. Kilz is a competing and also a good product. It's that simple for me. The shellac based products hide stains and odors for old work. The water resistance makes future wallpaper removal possible without ruining the walls.

If it's your walls, you want them to go a long time before repainting. Good primers help "cleanability". The cost of getting an extra couple of years out of a good paint job is a big factor compared to the mess and expense of doing it sooner, but difficult to compare on a balance sheet.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC