> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > where should holes be drilled?
Login | Register

where should holes be drilled?

Posted by matthew castagna on March 20th, 2003 01:22 PM
In reply to quality of sump pump by Marty on June 12th, 1999 01:50 PM [Go to top of thread]

Would you be so kind as to answer one quick question?

I installed two sub pumps on each side of my basement. Each sub pump assembly consists of a large plastic barrel about 30 inches deep with a diameter of 18 inches. The pump is of an industrial type suppose to last for years and years (all metal construction).

I installed the barrels into the floor of the basement (I needed to jack-hammer the cement flooring to dig the holes for the barrels.) I installed discharge pipes from the pumps to the outside of the house. Everything is working fine.

However, the barrels did not come with pre-drilled holes to let the water in from beneath the basement floor to be pumped out. So, I drilled my own holes in the barrel.

I drilled three holes around the barrel starting from the bottom of the barrel every 4 inches and up to the top.

Is this too low to have holes in the barrel? Four inches from the bottom. Would this allow the pumps to constantly run because I am draining too much ground water?

I very much appreciate your time and expertise on answering this question.

My e-mail address is

Very truly yours,

Matthew Castagna

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC