> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Where I stand
Login | Register

Where I stand

Posted by Shawn on February 28th, 1998 11:38 AM
In reply to Thank you.... by Bruce M on February 26th, 1998 09:53 PM [Go to top of thread]

Bruce, Here is a brief rundown of what I have done and where I stand on my basement. I started the first week of December 1997.
I did all of the calculations and determined what I needed as far as framing, drywall, plumbing and electrical. I purchased 250 2X4's (8') and had someone frame the entire basement for me. He built a bathroom, a 10X10 den and closed in the furnace/sump for me. Also framed under ther staircase for closet space.
I purchased 60 4X8 sheets of 1/2" drywall and had it hung, taped and sanded. Before installing the drywall board I installed a 4 mil vapor barrier against the concrete walls, and insulated between the studs with R-11. I did all of the wiring, phones and cable tv. I also plumbed for a wet bar, complete with separate circuits for a dishwasher and refrigerator.
I primed all of the drwyall with 2 coats of primer and my wife painted everything white - semi gloss. She then used method of painting that looks beautiful - using glaze, a mauve colored paint and an old shop towel. The look is like marbled wallpaper.
I then hung an armstrong suspended ceiling, 2x2 pattern that actually looks like a 1X1 tile ceiling. It is a grid hiding tile. I then installed several recessed lights.
The bath is 5X10, only a 1/2 bath though. My house now has 4 bathrooms... Shower was not needed! I installed a toilet and pedistal sink, complete with an exhaust fan.
The den is not completed as of yet. I have one dilema that is holding me up. There is a 6" round duct running perpendicular to the 2X10 joists and I have no where to move it. It feeds a bedroom on my 1st floor. I have some ideas but haven't actually jumped into it yet.
As far as heating/cooling goes, I already had 3 registers in the joists so I simply bought some round covers with dampers and used some 6" flexible duct to route them through the ceiling. Right now there is no heating problem, all feels warm. Actually, after I insulated it made the basement much warmer.

I have some pictures I will try and scan to e-mail you. Oh yea, there are 2 supporting posts that I covered with a colonial column look, they are 3 piece aluminum posts used on porches and such - They look fantastic!

Now all I have left to do is build the bar, and cover the floor! I will try and get you the photos this weekend. Take care and thanks for the great advice!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC