renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > When does painting wood for an outdoor wood project cause the wood to bow?
Login | Register

When does painting wood for an outdoor wood project cause the wood to bow?

Posted by Julie on February 2nd, 2003 02:58 AM

A neighbor of mine put up a wooden fence. He painted it within a week's time of putting it up. It bowed. I then heard that it is a good idea to wait 6 months before painting a wooden fence so this bowing will not happen.

Is this true and why does this happen? I heard it has something to do with the moisture in the wood.

Also, does this apply to all outdoor wood projects such as an arbor I plan to build? I will be using wood that is 4 to 6 inches wide but it will be as thick as this fence (about 2 inches). Should I wait a few weeks before painting it so it won't bow as his fence did?

I plan to paint the arbor white. I will have to research what exterior use primer and top coat paints work best. I hear oil-based primer is best. I also have been told never use oil-based paint over a primer that is not oil based.

Conversely, I hear it is okay to use a water based paint over an oil based primer.

I will have to verify this with several expert sources before I do this. Any clarifications are always welcome. THANKS

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC