> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > What you have here....
Login | Register

What you have here....

Posted by Jeff on March 8th, 2001 12:11 PM
In reply to plaster and paint over this paper? by Edward on March 8th, 2001 11:41 AM [Go to top of thread]

sounds like pre-finished gypsum board. It kinda like drywall that has had a vinyl covering bonded to it...almost like wallpaper. You commonly see this material used in manufactured houses such as singLE and double wide mobile homes.

I have joined and finished this stuff many's easy.

1. Wash down the wall with a good detergent soultion.

2. Apply a coat of latex primer along the joint area about 3 inches on each side.

3. Use the self-adhesive TYPE fiberglass mesh drywall tape to tape the joint and apply a thin coat of drywall joint compound with a 4 inch knife.

4. Allow the joint to dry thoroughly the apply a second coat and then a final skim coat of drywall compound, using a larger knife each time. You may need to sand lightly between coats.

5. When thoroughly dry, sand the joints smooth.

6. Apply AT LEAST 3 coats of latex primer to the entire wall [including the joints].

7. Paint or paper as usual.

I've had excellent results with the stuff!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC