> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > What were they thinking?
Login | Register

What were they thinking?

Posted by Chris on November 13th, 2000 09:51 AM

I bought an Am. Foursquare this past April and have been working on it ever since. After numerous structural things, I actually am finally getting down to stripping paint off of oak woodwork (Flash back to previous owners: hmmm. THis looks nice, let's paint over it, again and again). I just found what lies underneath my exterior and have a question. There is a vinyl siding put on the house in 1987. It was a quick and botched job. Below this is some funky material made of what looks like asphalt tile. The texture of that which you would put on the roof. This layer is fairly thick (1/2" to 3/4" thick paperboard backed). This is put on in big flat sheets. Below this is the original wood siding. It looks like square cedar shake shingles, only much thincker (again, 1/2" thick). There is only one coat of paint and one coat of prime. I did a bunch of section checks and found it to be in very good shape. Assuming I want to bring back the wood siding, I'm wondering about the procedure to prep it before painting. I'm assuming it is some kind of oil based paint, and figure it needs a good power washing, scraping and then priming. I will also need to patch the nail holes left in it from the siding. ANy other tips here?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC