> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > What Timing ...
Login | Register

What Timing ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on July 25th, 2001 08:30 AM
In reply to Drainage Puzzle for the Construction Wise Men :) by Bob D on July 24th, 2001 02:53 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Bob D.,

(And to BobB, I was JUST reading the post when I saw your follow-up ...)

Bob D: For starters, I can't see the surrounding landscape. This is the FIRST KEY FACTOR in determining what solution(s) you have. As BobB already said, water runs downhill. Slopage AWAY from the house/foundation is a MUST. From there, it sounds like you need to 'collect' the run-off and then dispose of it. You could look into a Dry Well W/A Pump, in order to pump the water where it needs to go. Be sure your well is LINED with Filter Fabric (if it's gravel-filled), or a barrel (or something), if it's not. In ANY case, you need to have it accessible. (You could dig a well, line it, set a barrel JUST below grade, wrap it w/fabric again, drill a few holes at a level that's ABOVE the pump, set in the pump, put a 'lid' on it of some sort, then fill w/gravel some more, then cover w/fabric to within 4" of the top, then cover again w/more fabric, then lay some Landscape Gravel in the last 4" for a 'nice look'. This 'general' type of construction allows water INTO the well, and allows it to 'rise up' to the holes, drain in until the pump needs to pump it out, and away you go. By using all the fabric, you keep the well CLEAN, AND allow you to clean the top off and get access if you need to. REMEMBER, you'll have kids running around. It needs to be SAFE! The pump has settings as to the 'depth' the water can go before it comes on. You don't want it to come on ALL the time, then again, you want it to empty the tank after a while too. Be SURE to check the Drain Line Height 'specifications' that come w/the pump BEFORE you open/install it (in case it won't work for you.) Height and Drain Line Distance/Run (as well) will help determine the type of pump you need. I can't say if you need to concern yourself w/a Battery Backup. Talk to a Pro or Retailer about this if you're going the way of a Dry Well.

Consider Window Wells w/covers. After they're installed, you can add some dirt to slope water AWAY from the window. (The well plates are installed ABOVE grade so you can add dirt to keep water away.)

Of course, all this could be moot if you live in Louisiana. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: You said a lot, BobD, which is kinda good, but it's hard to picture what's going on. Perhaps you can post some pics on a WEB site from a variety of angles? If so, come back to us ...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC